Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Who Needs a Swiffer????!!!!!

Ok I'm not sure how many friends and family are keeping up with our blog these days, especially since I took a bit of time off after Abraham. So, if you are regularly reading this, would you comment on this post so I can know who is out there and to keep posting? :0

Proverbs 31 Here we come!!!!!!

Tough times call for thrifty moms!! And since I have never been all together thrifty I am learning new tricks to save money and want to share as I learn. So here are a few things in my current repertoire.

Throw out your Swiffer Wet Jet!!

1. Get a .99 cent spray bottle at Walmart and fill it will this VERY cheap homemade cleaner. 
1 tsp borax
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 tsp liquid dish soap
2 cups hot water
Then sweep your floor with your cheap broom. Squirt the floor with your spray bottle and mop with an inexpensive sponge mop. WORKS GREAT and is so quick and easy. use the extra money you save on a new dress!!!! (or the phone bill if you're like me :)

also, this works great on your kitchen and bathroom sinks as well!

2. Also you can make a really great laundry detergent with the borax, washing soda (NOT baking soda, totally different things) and a bar of ivory. The cost of all these items is the same, if not cheaper, than one bottle of regular washing liquid.

a. Look up this recipe for the detergent and vinegar fabric softener~ it really works! the smell goes away during the rinse cycle and they smell fresh.
b. If you don't want to process/don't have a processor then take a cheese grater and grate the bar of soap.
c. For whiter whites, wait until the washer stops filling and starts washing and add your bleach. 

If you feel like this is too much work~ then get the cheapest brand of laundry detergent, I think its Purex and a box of Washing Soda (big yellow box by Arm & hammer on same isle as laundry deter.) and use half the recommended liquid and add some W. soda. I PROMISE IT WORKS!!!!!

Save money and by a new dress! Love you all!!!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!
You go girl!
Love you, Lisa

Lori said...

I have y'all on my google reader and read whenever there is an update. We went to Belle Aire before you guys did and Dustin was also the youth assistant. Clint came up to Jersey & spoke to our college kids while we were up there. I met you at Chris M.'s wedding.

Angela said...

I also have you on my google reader! I just like to catch up with old friends. We went to Belle Aire together!

Anonymous said...

I miss you!!! And I check your site daily for updates :)

XOXO

Leslie and Wes said...

I'm reading! Thanks for the tips!

el said...

i'm reading!

Anonymous said...

I check it every day to see if it has been updated. I love all the pictures of my sweet nephews!!! I miss and love yall so very much!!!