Thursday, January 3, 2008

Resolute to be Resolute~

* Resolute-admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering.

* "For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His person more strongly and more clearly..." Philippians 3:10a Amplified

I am not a big New Year's resolution kinda gal. There is no real deep or profound reason why, I just don't usually get into that whole shin-dig. I guess it feels like there are always a hundred things swirling in my mind that I need to do better, or different, or not at all. Maybe it's because I can allow myself to get swallowed up in all the things I'm not to the point of discouragement and the thought of formally sitting down and thinking and penning such things down stresses me out. In order for their to be significant change in my life, on any subject matter, I admit I am desperate for The writing on the wall, if that makes sense. I admit that the only One who can bring about lasting change in the order of my thoughts and habits is Jesus. He is the only One who moves me so, who speaks tenderly enough yet mightily enough to reach into my wounded soul and breathe life and renewal. Of course there are many people who inspire me... Dr. Piper, Dr. Moore, Beth Moore, my sweet husband, but there is only one whose voice reaches my inner man. So while those hundreds of things-being a better wife, mom, friend, steward, cook :) etc... swirl and clamor for my attention, I understand that ultimately I need His voice and resurrection power to transform even the smallest of attributes. So I am resolute to be resolute in "perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His person..." I love that, "the wonders of His person" oh the wonders. I am convinced that the more I see Him, the more I will be transformed into the likeness of His image and that is what I am truly desperate for. I am desperate for Jesus and everything about Him because He doesn't stress me out with a list of changes to be made or habits to break. Instead, ever so sweetly He invites me to holiness and into the place of His transforming power where I am truly molded into all those things I am desperate to be. 

* "...that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection, which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be transformed in Spirit into His likeness even to His death" Philippians 3:10b

* "I shall not demean my own uniqueness by envy of others. I shall stop boring into myself to discover what psychological or social categories I might belong to. Mostly I shall forget about myself and do my work." Dr. Clyde Kilby

This is an excerpt from an article on John Piper's Desiring God website. When I read this this morning it almost made me cry. The whole article is beautiful and I hope you can read it. It definitely gives a sweet and poetic perspective on the important things in life.
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Keva said...

Hey friend.

I got your message the other day. I am trying to get to the phone, I promise. We have had a very stressful week and I cannot talk w/o coughing(those two things unrelated). I will fill you in soon, please be praying for us.

LOVE you,

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel! Hope you are feeling well - sorry we missed you at Christmas - I did get to hug Clint's neck tho! We are good - I laughed outloud over your "poor man's salt and pepper set" --- You gotta remember that you are RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE because God has put you there --- you are RICH in ways the world will never understand. :) Love to you all, Lisa