Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Years With A Good Friend

As a married couple we have never done very much for New Years. Usually we are snuggled warmly in our beds, fast asleep as everyone else is cheering the new year in with their party hats and plastic horns. But we have decided that it is time for us to take one more step into the adult family world and start making our own family traditions. So my plan was to make two big meals, one on New Years Eve and another on New Years day. This is a very scary thing because I can't really cook :) But Clint grew up in a family where food is a big tradition on holidays and I want to continue that for him and for our family. So this year I decided to conquer my fear of the culinary world and tackle the holiday meal. Thankfully our dear friend Daniel saved me from the big New Year's Eve meal, I think two might have been a little more than I could handle the first time around. 
Daniel has been a great friend to us in more ways than just saving me from a scary cooking endeavor. He is actually the one who persuaded us to visit Southern last year at the October Preview conference. He helped us get signed up, and actually drove us around the entire weekend to show us the city and check out potential places to live. Since then he has consistently gone above and beyond to help us get situated here in Louisville and actually helped Clint unload our entire apartment. He is a great friend to Clint and is always encouraging Clint in so many ways. He has also been a great encouragement to me and Aslan absolutely loves Daniel. After we found out we were expecting again, Daniel watched Aslan for us so we could have a celebratory date. So when Daniel told us he was moving to a new apartment and would need some help, Clint jumped at the opportunity to help him. So new Year's Eve they spent the afternoon moving. Afterwards, Daniel's dad took us all out to Cracker Barrel for dinner. Then we rung in the New Year at our apartment with Daniel and his little sister Kim drinking Starbucks and chatting it up.  Thank you Daniel for all you do for our family.
Then, New Year's Day it was time for my first cooking extravaganza! And to be totally honest-I had so much fun making all that food... half of which wasn't that great but nonetheless it was still fun. This is me showing of our Turkey. The first turkey I have ever made. And it was real, a real, bloody, raw Turkey breast that came from a once living Turkey. What a triumph!


This is a close up and it looks pretty disgusting. It looks like a fish or a big hippopotamus mouth. Gross yes, but! I cooked it! WHOO-HOO!

This is our spread on the table with my sad little dishes and poor man's salt and pepper shaker. We invited Daniel over and sat down to enjoy my home-cooked feast.

Daniel and Aslan watching a movie.
Clint... not really sure. Possibly his face after the Gator's lost their bowl game. Tragic.

So we had a great time eating my big holiday meal and enjoying the company of a good friend. 


The Nadeau Family Menu:

Bacon and Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
Pork Stuffing
Cornbread Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Shoe-peg Corn in butter sauce
Spicy Black-eyed Peas
Turkey Gravy
Yeast Rolls
Homemade Banana Pudding

The turkey was amazing! It was tender and juicy and had a great flavor. My cornbread stuffing... maybe not so much amazing, but good. But all of it was edible and not burned! And that is a major victory in my book.
Happy New Year and we love you all!

1 comment:

dp said...

Thanks you guys! I am truly honored to count you all as friends, and I am more grateful than you know for all the ways that God has used you all to be an agent of grace and encouragement in my life!

P.S. Note to self: when having your picture taken, try not to be sitting on a couch while wearing a poofy pullover that makes you look like you have a hunchback and/or weigh 300 pounds.