Monday, January 14, 2008

Fun With Fishy Noodles

If I don't brag on my husband enough, let me take the time to do so now. One of the reasons I have loved him from the beginning was his genuine desire to love Christ and his desire to be truly genuine. Not to mention he has one of the most fun and dynamic personalities of anyone I've ever met, and it never turns off (unless he's asleep or really sick :)).This excitement and energy also comes through in his preaching and spiritual leadership and I love it! So do students, in fact they are captivated by him and the fact that he is 'cool' and really loves Jesus and has the ability to be fun and yet serious about the power and majesty of the Word of God. During his time as youth assistant at Belle Aire, I think he really impacted a lot of students and through the grace and power of Christ urged them towards a deeper and more intimate walk with Christ and a love for His Word. In fact I am certain of this and the guys below are just some of the fruit of his joyous labors. Clint led a small group of guys starting the summer before their junior year and actually felt led to stay in Murfreesboro to see them through the remainder of their high school career. So we happily postponed seminary so he could stay with them and the youth group. They are amazing young men and we were blessed by their desire to drive three hours to spend some time with our family. To be totally honest, I was a little unsure how I would fit in with three eighteen year old guys, however they were a blast!! I had so much fun with them and even stayed up until midnight saturday night hanging out with them. What a blessing!

From left to right: my munchkin, Alex Lewis, Ben Yeargen, Clint, and Micheal Gibelyou (This is half the group~the others couldn't be here because of other commitments)
Saturday we just hung out and ate and laughed and then talked some major theology. Then Sunday they went to church with us. When we got home Clint and I rushed to get the spaghetti ready, boys are very hungry people. So Clint was in charge of cleaning out the pot we had made beef stew in the night before so we could boil the noodles. When we sat down to eat, after eating my first bite I discovered they tasted like dog food. So instead of letting everyone suffer through gross spaghetti I declared they were gross and that all were exempt from eating them. So we sat there trying to figure out why they were so nasty, Ben thought they tasted like fish and Clint thought they tasted like beef (probably b/c he new he didn't clean out the pot good enough :( ).It was a bust but a funny and memorable meal. And then we played Scattergories. We had so much fun. They were GREAT!! with Aslan. He loved them!
Ben and Aslan had a great time too. Ben is 6'5 or 6'6 and likes to play rough so Aslan really liked him. Ben even went and played in Aslan's room with him. They were good buds.
The intensity of the game was in full force and I was concentrating. It was serious business.
Another shot of the guys. We are looking forward to their next visit the first of February.
Again, they were so much fun and very helpful. They are always welcome and we look forward to watching them conitnue to grow in Christ.

1 comment:

dp said...

You mentioning your intensity reminds me of a certain game of Mafia in Gatlinburg, where yours truly made the infamous pronouncement, "I think Rachel is Mafia and I have four reasons why ..." only to be met by what was, perhaps, the angriest scowl I had ever seen on the face of another human being in my life.

Here's to you Mafia -making Christians mad at each other for the last 50 years!