Tuesday, October 23, 2007

In hope against hope, he believed...Romans 4:18

One of the hardest things we have done as a young married couple has been moving to Louisville. It has been one overwhelming trial after another. It has been a storm like no other that we have encountered together. There have been such intense swells of difficulty that I felt we were surely drowning. At the moments when I thought I simply couldn't breathe under the weight of it, His glorious hand would reach me... He makes me cry. He refreshes my soul by His thoughtfulness and at the same time breaks me with His tenderness. He has used the most faithful people to renew us~ my parents, my mom, my aunt, my grandparents, sj. Without His touch on their hearts, and without their obedient faithfulness I dare not think about how the past few months would have been. They are all reminders of God's love and faithfulness to our family.

Through this intense time of trial, we have grown so much~ Glory to God. And yet, we are keenly aware that we have so much more to learn. Before we moved, the Lord presented me with a tough question. "Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" to which, in all my superficiality, I responded...honestly I might add, "I think not." And I was embarassed before Him to realize that, while these are important things, they consumed me. So here we are, some time later, and we can't afford groceries and we can't afford clothes for my growing body or even to replace Clint's tatered, torn work shoes. And do you know, that in the midst of all of this, I feel more at peace than I ever have. Now this is not to be confused with the fact that there are still times that I am afraid. But I choose to trust.

This morning I sat down, and asked Jesus to speak to me. I really wanted Him to tell me how it turns out. He has done that before with situations... but He chose not to give those answers. Instead, this is what He spoke to me through His Word, "Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" to which, in my weathered and bare state, I responded, "I think so." This is why He leaves me breathless. I didn't go searching for that, He brought it to me so bold and strong. And He said, as He has so many times before, "In hope against hope, he believed... will you?"

"Come thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing thy grace,
Streams of mercy never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonet sung by flaming tongues above,
Praise the mount I'm fixed upon it, mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my ebeneezer, hither by thy help I've come.
And I hope by thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, wondering from the fold of God.
Oh He to rescue me from danger interposed His precious blood.

Oh to grace how great a debtor, daily I'm constrained to be.
And let thy goodness like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wonder Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.
Here's my heart Lord, take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above."


2 comments:

AnneB said...

Love the post! So So True. I remember during my pregnancy with Titus I bought 1 outfit and 1 bathing suit. Everything else was hand me down and given to me. I would often just cry as I dressed myself each morning realizing that my clothes were not "my style" and feeling so ugly. Yet, I would battle those thoughts with the reality that God had provided for me without my having to spend money I didn't have on clothes to make me "feel better". This pregnancy is no different...but I was able to buy 2 pair of pants at the local goodwill that actually weren't highwaters on me!!
Mark had a similar situation with his shoes for work...The soles had holes in them and would flop around. One night...after his feet were soaked from all the water that leaked into the shoes...is manager asked him if he realized he needed more shoes. Great...I thought. Now we have to go buy some new shoes and we don't have a penny to spare...However, the next night his manager brought him a brand new pair of shoes...What a blessing it was to see God provide. I was completely humbled at just how sovereign and gracious God was to provide through an unsaved coworker! Praise God for providing such valuable lessons to help deepen your sanctification process! He faithfulness is unbelievable...and the more we rely on him...the more he abundantly proves Himself!

Tracy730 said...

Rachel thank your for always being so honest. So often we say things are ok when there really not. There are days that I wish I could go back to Murfreesboro and go to a church with a building. I could go to Sonic and Rolly Polly. Be surrounded by amazing Christian friends like you and Clint. You and Clint are amazing people who God is going to use you in amazing ways. We know that our sacrificing to do what God calls us to do will have great rewards. Good Luck with baby #2 and your little guy is a mini Clint! Love you T Coyle